The 39th session of the World Heritage Committee
The World Heritage Committee met in Bonn, Germany, from 28 June to 8 July 2015. The agenda of the session included - among others - the protection and state of conservation of World Heritage sites in danger, the inscription of new sites on the World Heritage List and the World Heritage sustainable development strategy. The session was organised by UNESCO and the Federal Foreign Office in cooperation with the German Commission for UNESCO.
All decisions of the 39th session of the World Heritage Committee are available online.
Some figures and highlights of the 39th session:
- More than 1.900 participants from 127 countries participated in the 39th session of the World Heritage Committee.
- More than 180 press and media representatives attended the 39th session in Bonn.
- 24 new properties were inscribed on the World Heritage List, and extensions of three properties were approved.
- The Committee took decisions on the state of conservation of 141 World Heritage properties.
- 3 properties were added to the List of World Heritage in Danger, 1 property was removed from the Danger List.
- 60 Side Events took place within and outside the WCCB.
- A special issue of the World Heritage Review – World Heritage in Germany was published on the occasion of the 39th session.
The UNESCO World Heritage Convention and the World Heritage Committee
The “Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage” was adopted by UNESCO in 1972. 191 States Parties have adhered to the Convention, making it the most powerful instrument adopted by the international community in favour of the protection of its natural and cultural heritage. The World Heritage Committee comprises representatives from 21 States Parties from all regions of the world, including Germany since 2011 and until 2015. Minister of State Prof Dr Maria Böhmer chaired the 39th session.
The next session of the Committee will take place from 10 to 20 July 2016 in Istanbul, Turkey.
Further Information and Resources
Photos of the 39th session
Webcast videos of the 39th session
World Heritage Review: World Heritage in Germany